Search This Blog

henry

Friday, May 4, 2012

A Grown Up Bedtime Devotion Lesson


Don't you love how you plan out lessons to teach your child and God gently reminds you of the lessons that still need learning in your own life?  (I totally started that sentence out to be sarcastic, but am smiling as I realize that I really do love it; there is such joy in being loved enough to be corrected with intentional grace).

This is a short excerpt from a bedtime devotion time with my youngest this week.....who is 4.....and the most imaginative child EVAH!


“Eve….Eve, wake up,” the gentle voice
[This is a BIBLE?]
{Well, it’s a book that tells the stories of the Bible.}

gentle voice whispered.  “Who is it? Who’s there? Eve mumbled stretching her arms and wiggling her toes for the very
[Sometimes I chew my toes.]
{That is super sick and utterly disgusting, don’t do that anymore.}

for the very first time.  Eve stretched again and sat up.  When she opened her eyes she couldn’t believe
[Is that water?]
{No, I think it’s just a little road in the Garden of Eden, but I’m not sure why they have a road in the Garden of Eden. Maybe it’s just a path.}

she couldn’t believe what she saw. Carefully trying her brand-new legs Eve ran through the garden, touching things for the very first time.  Suddenly she glanced behind her
[I was good mostly tonight at Cubbies, but a little bit bad.]
{Really?  Why were you bad?}
[Now is that water?]
{Yes, that’s the waterfall that God is showing Eve. How were you bad?}
[Eve and Adam ate the apple and God told them NO but they ate it anyway and got in big trouble.]

 Insert entire MUCH NEEDED teaching moment on obedience 
here during which we totally lost our place.

Wow, she’s pretty Adam whispered.  Yes she is. And she will be a better friend for you than the animals are.  She can talk and
[Look those two birds are in love and so are the Adam and Eve!]


Prayer time….. [ABCDEFG, Thank you God for loving me. I’ll be good and do nice. Amen.]



{Thank you God for this precious daughter and for your patience with me.  I’ve grown tired and impatient with her and expected her to react like I do instead of exactly like she should as a 4-year-old learning about life and family and friendship and You.  Help me to show the same patience toward her that you show to me, welcoming her distractions and interruptions as the gifts they are and as the reminders they are of grace and beauty and humor and faith.  Strengthen me in my weakness to give my kids the best of me and not the leftover - in instruction and energy and affection and example.}

No comments:

Post a Comment