Search This Blog

henry

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Almond Poppyseed Minis

This is a favorite recipe, especially at  Christmas.  I got it from Marsha Cook one year when she and her husband Russell taught a class for Deacons and their wives at our church in Oklahoma City.  Our deacons must've decided to invite the pastor and his wife, cause we were there!  Marsha had a wonderful pink book she taught from and in it were some very special recipes.  I still treasure my pink book.  Now probably 10 years later, Marsha and I live a few miles apart, go to church together, and minister in the same town.  

I love this bread recipe so much.  You could easily make it a lemon poppyseed bread by exchanging the almond extract for lemon extract, but I don't know why anyone would ever want to eliminate almond from anything - it's my favorite flavor - ever. 

A couple of Christmases ago I found this wonderful holly sprinkle mix that makes these little cakey breads perfection.  I make them in a mini loaf pan which to this day is my favorite wedding gift.  I can get 7 which is the only "urgh-ish" part of the recipe, but I can't bring myself to fill them more sparingly to stretch the batter to partly fill all 8.  I like them round and white on top.

These little loaves are wonderful gifts wrapped in cellophane and tied up with a bow and gift tag and they freeze beautifully.



Almond Poppyseed Bread
Marsha Cook

Mix all ingredients with mixer on medium speed until moistened well:
·         3 cups flour
·         2 ¼ cups sugar
·         1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
·         1 ½ teaspoons salt
·         1 Tablespoon (little less) poppy seeds
·         1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
·         1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
·         3 eggs
·         1 ½ cup milk
·         1 ¼ cup oil
Pour into 2 bread loaf pans sprayed with baking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. My mini-loaf pan takes 32 minutes.  Remove from oven and pour glaze over bread while it’s still in the pan.  Let set a few minutes, run a knife around the edges and turn out onto waxed paper to cool.  When I make the mini loaves, I put all 7 out on waxed paper first and then glaze.

Glaze:
·         2 cups powdered sugar (I shake mine through a mesh strainer)
·         1/3 cup milk (my preference) or orange juice (Marsha's original recipe)
·         1 teaspoon almond extract (you may add some vanilla too)


1 comment:

  1. oh my....and the evidence that we are truly food twins continues! Everyone always makes lemon poppyseed and it's hard to find ALMOND poppyseed, which is my absolute favorite flavor of muffin! Going to make these tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete