Search This Blog

henry

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Heritage


This is another of my Christmas treasures.  It's a photograph of my Grandmother and her white Christmas tree.  Although she smiled and laughed often, she did not like having her picture taken and usually looked very serious in photos.  We think that my aunt took this picture and that perhaps Grandmother thought it was just of the tree not realizing she was the real target.  She looks like herself in this picture, relaxed and content.  It must be a Saturday morning because her hair looks great - she'd probably been to the beauty shop on Friday.


My husband noticed this picture the other night and commented on the amount of presents under her tree.  She loved Christmas and made it very special.  I have lots of memories of knee deep wrapping paper chaos in that room.  She and my Pappy were farmers and lived just outside of our hometown.  We loved visiting the farm, but loved visiting them more.  She loved bright colors, like purple and turquoise blue and had a  flamboyant classy streak as evidenced by the peacocks that roamed her farm.  She also was a good ole' gal who could help feed cattle or pull fence if she had to.  She loved God and loved people and they loved her back.  She wasn't perfect, but she was so very special to us.  When she died we were astonished at the number of people we (her family) didn't know who came to the funeral, she served many anonymously.  I'll have to save those stories for another day.

My Grandmother died on my Mother's birthday my junior year at college.  One of my treasures is a green envelope that holds the letters she wrote to me those three years I was away.  This envelope has a particular place in my closet and they are beyond dear.



They are all very brief, one says,
OK, Sweetie,
I love you,
Grandmother


This is my favorite.....



It says,
"The greatest notion I can give you is to make the most of the hours you live.  God is faithful and to be trusted.  He provides every wonderful blessing.  My dear one, stand on your tiptoes eagerly awaiting His next surprising blessing."

She made the most of the hours she lived and she trusted God, not perfectly but consistently throughout prosperity and loss.  I think of her everytime I see a stalk of wheat or a white Christmas tree or a peacock.  Her legacy strengthens my faith and the faith of the generations to follow us both....a blessed heritage indeed.

"You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name." 
Psalm 61:5

4 comments:

  1. O MY GOODNESS, Jamy, I just read this with tears of joy in my eyes, just recalling your grandmother's influence & inspiration on my own life!!! I was a young mother & I cannot tell you the encouragement she was to me, always with such a sweet smile & authority!!! She also had a profound influence on my attitude toward my weight, because she always understood it. What a legacy you have in spiritual things from her & your grandfather, & I too share the joy of remembering her(actually both of them). Thanks for posting this. Love the photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly certain that grandmothers are a gift from heaven. My Grandmother Heath had the most beautiful laugh and more wisdom than one mind should be able to hold. She wrote me a time or two and I'll never forget the one that she wrote me after having Ashley. In it she said "Honey, I'm so glad you were able to lose all that blubber." I was fairly devastated so the next time I went to her house I asked her with tears about to form, "Grandmother, why did you say that?" She didn't say a word but just laughed.. we both ended up giggling until we had tears rolling down our face. She never answered, but then again she didn't have to.. she was right!!! Miss you Grandmother! Love you Jamy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowan, she was such a precious lady - we've missed her a lot this year! She was very good at sifting through life to get to the most important things without making you feel badly for not being "there" yet. What a treasure. Candace, our Grandmothers would be great buddies, just like us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your grandma. I remember her being with us on move-in day...maybe at Howard? She was so beautiful...in so many ways...

    ReplyDelete