Search This Blog

henry

Friday, January 7, 2011

"Un-Bossy" Favorites

As a follow up to my last post - here are my favorite discoveries. Ta-Da! They fit great into my "food you're not the boss of me" life - and some were a real lifesaver!

Some favs in my cabinet right now
Favorite Apps and Websites:
  • Lose It! (app and website)
  • Fast Food Calorie Counter - app store
  • Comfort Food Diet Cookbook, find it here, or at Amazon, here.
  • The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great cookbookThe author of this book, Pam Anderson is one of my favorite cookbook authors.  She tells her story of losing 50 pounds and has some great cooking tips and recipes.
  • Hungry Girl websiteI haven't made a lot of her recipes, but this website is great for tips and products.  I signed up for her e-newsletter and get all kinds of updates on restaurants and snacks.
  • Hungry Girl Shopping List.
  • Calorie King website, I used this website to calculate calories for food I eat at home as well as some restaurant research.
  • Recipe Calculator at sparkpeople.com.  You can enter recipes and calculate calories here.

  
Favorite Snacks:
  • Almonds, Emerald Cocoa or Dry Roast (100 cal pouch)
  • Bagel-fuls – 200 calories (in freezer waffle section)
  • Baked lays or Tostitos
  • Butterfinger De-Light bars (come 2 bars to package, 1=105 calories)
  • 3 Musketeer Truffle Crisp (come 2 bars to package, 1=85 calories)
  • Cheerios Snack Mix
  • Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges (35 calories)
  • 100 Cal packs of Cheezits or cookies
  • Special K Crackers (17 crackers=90 calories)
  • Yogurt with granola
  • Luna Minis (80 calories)
  • Special K fruit crisp breakfast bars (100 calories per package)
  • Braums, Frozen Yogurt; Banana Pecan or Blackberry Cream with Almond
  • Athenos Hummus (2 T=50 calories)
  • Breyers Smooth and Creamy Ice Cream Sandwiches (160) or Bars (120)
  • Skinny Cow Ice Cream anything, fewer calories but the Breyer’s are better
  • Jello Mousse (60 calories)
  • Smartfood popcorn 100 calorie white cheddar bags (chips aisle)
  • Musselman’s Blueberry Pomegranate Applesauce (70 calories)
  • Mini bags of 100 cal popcorn
  • Pringles Stix (90 calories)
  • Jello Sugar Free Pudding (in fridge section)
  • Rice Krispy Treats, (90 calories)
  • 100 Cal Strawberry Cupcakes
  • Yogos - for my candy fix  (80 calories)
  • General Foods International Instant Coffee (around 60-80 calories)
  • Smart Ones brand frozen pasta dinners for lunches at home.


I mentioned in my previous post that eating out is a reality for me, so I had to figure out how to do it without blowing my calorie budget.  I also had to figure out how to do eat out without assuming my only choices were grilled chicken on a salad or in a bun (gag).  Here are some suggestions that worked for me at my family's favorite places....may not for you, I know some of these choices are way up there in the fat category.  But I decided to focus on one thing I could control - calories and portions.  Just a little disclaimer.
Eating Out Favorites:
  • Taco Bueno – Beef Potato Burrito (358)
  • Taco Bell – Beef Chalupa Supreme (360)
  • Burger King – Whopper Jr with mustard (220), small fries (240)
  • Chick-fil-a – 8 piece nuggets (260), fruit cup (70), whatever waffle fries are in the bottom of the sack from my kids' orders were also mine and didn't count toward my calorie total.
  • Chili’s – Guiltless Grill sirloin (340), ¼ order of chips/salsa (118), green chili soup is lo-cal.
  • Cracker Barrel – 1 biscuit, 4 grilled chicken tenderloin dinner with hash brown casserole and carrots (506)
  • Sonic – grilled cheese (282) or corndog (210)
  • McAlister’s – Chicken tortilla soup with bread bowl (334) By the way, I just ate at McAlister's and they have a whole new "under 500" menu....cool!
  • McDonalds, Fruit/yogurt parfait (130), cheeseburger happy meal
  • Cheese Pizza thin crust (2 slices-384), I know this calorie total fluctuates, this one is from calorie king.  Wherever we are for pizza, I always get cheese and thin crust and don't worry about specifics! 
  • Wendy’s – Jr bac chzburger (310), small fries (330)

So, those are my favorites.....I would love to hear from you! 
What are your favorite snacks, tips and strategies?

2 comments:

  1. I like Nature's Own 100 calorie high fiber english muffins with Smart Balance "butter" and Smuckers Low Sugar Jelly. I also like Flatout flatbread, 90 calories and high fiber. I use them for wraps for lunch or dinner with a light turkey lunch meat and a light sprinkling of shredded cheese. Sun Chips, Bear Naked Cookies, TLC cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here goes...we love mid-continent soy milk (light), kashi pizza & cereals, trail mix, tuna salad, old-fashioned oatmeal w/ cinnamon, brown sugar and pumpkin... basically, we leave out dairy (or reduce), substitute whole wheat flour (or use half), use olive or canola oil, add some nuts/milled flaxseed flour/or fruits. and we still eat the foods we love, just after we've eaten the "healthy" stuff. loving the ideas you're giving us!!

    ReplyDelete