Search This Blog

henry

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Do the Next Thing

Husband and Baby Girl at the Aquarium on Spring Break

I am just now out-growing my tendency to over think things.  I can still make myself crazy wondering and second-guessing.  It’s been a long time and taken a lot of life experiences to remove me from the days of self-torture wondering if God has led me somewhere and worrying that I’ve missed Him.  Thinking maybe He’s whispering just loud enough for me to hear Him, but not loud enough for me to make out the particulars.  I am often asked this question – how do I hear Him?  How do I know what He wants me to do?   

Go back to the last thing you knew He called you to do and do the next thing.  Many years ago when I was either a college student or a newlywed I heard this somewhere.  Maybe one of you knows where – because I can’t remember and would love to give credit where credit is due.  I guess I’ll just look up and say THANK YOU God! for this little bit of advice.  When I don’t know what to do and can’t find the directive hand of God I intentionally make myself go back to the last thing I know He instructed me to do.  And guess where that almost always takes me?  To the affectionate heart of God.  Once I stick there a while and remember how much I am loved and am reminded of those all important spiritual disciplines that go with knowing Him, I am ready to do the next thing - even if it is waiting.  Here I can honestly ask myself the questions that simplify my decision.  In a Bible Study I'm doing author Angela Thomas calls this part of our walk with God the secret life.  "When we keep a secret life, the applause of God will be deafening."  Living Your Life as a Beautiful Offering, p. 75  Yes, we can hear that.

This post is about the daily-ness of everyday decisions.  I don't mean to be flippant in decisions, some are BIG and wrapped up in grief and joy and hope and dread so profoundly that you think you will never sort it out.  I've been there too.  But even then, I believe God wants us to focus more on His character than our perception of His expectations.

“Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment my moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows, Child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, ‘DO THE NEXT THING.’
Do it immediately; do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His Hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ’neath His wing,
Leave all resultings, ‘DO THE NEXT THING.’”

–author unknown

How easy it is to become powerless; a spiritual wallflower, overanalyzing the sound of His voice and never making any meaningful motion in life.  Instead:  Love Him, love others, be winsome, know the Word and obey it, enjoy life, be generous - holding things lightly and people closely. 

Do the next thing.  Yep, me too.

All the pictures in this post were taken with my phone in the everyday life God has given.


Walking with Baby Girl trying to keep up with the Big Kids around the pond in our neighborhood.

Ropes Course Field Trip with our Oldest - last one before high school.

Celebrating with my Oldest Daughter - JOY!

As I was working on my Hosea manuscript this week I ran across this verse that has been a sweet comfort to me.  2 Thessalonians 3:5 says, “May the Lord direct your heart into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance."   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment