Search This Blog

henry

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Potato Chip Cookies

It's a wonderful rainy day and I am blessed to be able to bake cookies in the middle of the afternoon.  That could be "The End".....but I'll go ahead and share.


I've been wanting to try this recipe for Potato Chip Cookies, but have been so convinced no one else would like them that I always move on to something else.  Finding a great recipe that I alone love is dangerous for me.  But today, I felt like baking and had butterscotch chips and potato chips....so naturally I had to make these! 

This recipe came from my Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook. Now don't be confused....this isn't a low-cal, low-fat cookie (the first ingredient is an entire cup of Crisco).  This cookie fits a diet only in the "all things in moderation" category (since one cookie has 125 calories).




Potato Chip Cookies
1 cup Butter-flavored shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups crushed potato chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in potato chips and butterscotch chips.  Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.  Makes 4 dozen.

I creamed the shortening and sugars together using my Kitchen-Aid then added the eggs.  After that was mixed well I poured all the flour and the baking soda in and mixed just until combined.  I tossed in the butterscotch chips and mixed well and then added the potato chips last since they are fragile after all; but there is no way I'm mixing them in by hand.  Mine only took 9 minutes and were just almost too crispy.

These are yummy!  I might try using half Crisco, half real butter next time  - but that would yield a flatter cookie and I like mine plump.  I think that using a heavier chip (maybe a Ruffle type) might work better than my experiment with regular Lay's.




So if you find yourself with a rainy day and a bag of potato chips and butterscotch chips you might want to try these!

No comments:

Post a Comment