Search This Blog

henry

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Willing

“And a leper came to him, imploring him, and kneeling said to him, "If you will, you can make me clean." Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand and touched him and said to him, "I will; be clean." And immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean. And Jesus sternly charged him and sent him away at once, and said to him, "See that you say nothing to anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, for a proof to them." But he went out and began to talk freely about it, and to spread the news, so that Jesus could no longer openly enter a town, but was out in desolate places, and people were coming to him from every quarter.”  Mark 1:40-45

This story was the text for my husband’s sermon almost two weeks ago, and it's still bumping around in my heart and head.  There are many things I love about this story…..so many.  I wish I could’ve seen the look on Jesus’ face when he sees this leper thumping toward Him on his knees.  According to the religion of the day, Jesus’ own heritage, this man was unclean with no way to wash because of His disease.  As he approached Jesus everyone else would’ve taken several steps back because of the stigma of his condition.  I wonder if Jesus’ compassionate reaction to this man was because of the man’s physical pain or because of the words he utters.  I think that Jesus hears this man say, “I know you can heal me, but I’m just not sure you want to”…..and His heart breaks.

How often I do this.  I put all my confidence in God’s abilities, forgetting that His heart is for me.  I am so certain that He can that when He doesn’t I am crushed.  Without a firm understanding of God’s goodness and benevolence toward me I cannot handle difficulty because hardship feels like a personal rejection instead of an entrusted time of precious growth.

When Todd taught this passage He shared this little Greek gem.  When Jesus reaches out to touch the leper He actually “takes hold” of him.  Can you imagine the shockwave of tenderness that rocks through the leper’s body when Jesus pulls him up saying….. “I want to.” 

One more thing to notice, Jesus asks the man not to be a big blabbermouth about His healing.  Weird to us, and obviously weird to the reformed leper.  But Jesus was on a razor focused mission for our salvation and He knew the timing required.  Although this man wore his healing in his new clean and perfect skin, he couldn’t help telling everyone and spreading the news about Jesus’ ability and willingness.  He didn’t follow Jesus’ instruction.  And Jesus paid the price.  Mark 1:45 tells us that because of the crowds Jesus could no longer enter the towns easily but had to stay out in the desolate or lonely places.  It strikes me with such sad gratitude that the isolation Jesus took away from this leper with a compassionate touch was brought upon His own life in the next few days.  Yes, He was willing.  Even knowing that this man, once healed, would bring difficulty and a setback to His ministry, Jesus was willing.

Hear this today, God wants to.  He is not just able, He is willing. If you are waiting or if you have stumbled and are believing the lie that Jesus doesn’t tolerate do-overs because they might set Him back; take heart and smile because He loves you and He is for you.  He is willing. 

If you've never heard this song before, listen to Blessings by Laura Story......

No comments:

Post a Comment