Search This Blog

henry

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Our oldest is at Super Summer [super fantastic Christian youth camp] this week.  Although it is here in our own town, we don't see him since he stays on campus.  But I did hear that a couple of moms were going to show up on campus with pizza and cookies today.  So I jumped on that band wagon; just in case he's nearby. 

You may already have a favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie at your house, but just in case you don't I thought I would share this recipe.  I originally found this in a Southern Living cookbook from 1993.  I love to bake cookies, and without a doubt these are the ones I make most often. 

For me, these two ingredients are what make this recipe so fantastic.


And real butter.  In my experience, real butter tastes best but can leave you with cookies that are kinda flat (and I like mine plump).  I think the pudding mix butter combo makes a great chewy solid but soft texture for these cookies.  I also really prefer milk chocolate chips especially in this recipe, but that's just me.....and my little family.

Here are a couple of things I've learned baking cookies:

Don't overbake. This is what cookies should look like as they come out of the oven.  You should see a little bit of brown, but wonder if they are really done. By the time they come off the cookie sheet and cool they are perfect.


Remove them from hot cookie sheet quickly.  I never bake cookies more than 10 minutes (these take 9) unless they are really big.  Let them sit on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes if they are underbaked, and they will firm up.  I usually give them about 30 seconds and then use my favorite metal spatula to move them to wax  paper to cool.  My cookies are always pretty fragile when I move them, but I like them to be soft and not overly crispy.....and if one falls apart on the way from the cookie sheet to the wax paper I usually eat it so no one has to look at an ugly cookie.  I'm thoughtful that way.

I always use this spatula.....I got it in a basket of wedding gifts.  If it ever breaks I'll be in trouble because I always flub cookies when I try to use something different.


Another tip, don't dip your measuring cup into your flour tub....scoop or spoon flour loosely into your measuring cup and level gently.  This gives you a more accurate measurement and keeps your flour from packing into the cup too densely.


I use a scoop to make my cookie dough into balls.  I love the ones from Pampered Chef and have all 3 sizes. The largest is for muffins, the middle for big cookies and the small for little cookies and mini muffins.  They are super handy.


So when I make these cookies I let 2 sticks of butter and 2 eggs sit out all morning so the butter is nice and soft and the eggs are at room temperature (at least that is always my plan - more often than not I have to nuke the butter and drop the eggs in cold-it still works).  I mix the butter and sugar together well and then add the dry pudding mix and finally the eggs and vanilla.  I dump the flour and baking soda straight on top and mix just until blended.  I pour in the whole bag of chocolate chips and mix a few more times.  Then scoop out onto cookie sheets a couple of inches apart and bake for 9 minutes.....one more thing, never scoop your cookie dough onto a hot cookie sheet.  Rotate the use of your cookie sheets so that each one is at least cool enough to touch....or your cookies will spread (which is a bad idea on many levels).


Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 small package instant vanilla or chocolate pudding
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4  cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
12 oz milk chocolate chips
Beat butter and sugars well, add pudding mix and eggs and vanilla, mix well.  Stir in dry ingredients then chips.  Bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. oh, my, how YUMMY!!! thanks for sharing--I learned so much from this! we love to bake and EAT chocolate chip cookies...can't wait to try it :) you are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughtful like that... I love this recipe! Hope Z got one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm. YUM! Didn't realize you are cookie expert too! Sweet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori Henderson BeatyDecember 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM

    Julie and Josh made these for our family Christmas last weekend. I came to your blog hoping to find the recipe. I found it! And lots of great encouragement too. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete