Search This Blog

henry

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Apple Crisp

Making an Apple Crisp right now is totally wishful thinking....
Fall has to come eventually, right? 



This is one of those great growing up memory Mom kind of recipes.  Before I got married my mom and I collected a bunch of her recipes that I could make for my new family of two.  Having cooked with her often growing up but rarely read a recipe, I made almost everything to feed a family of five back then, with great confusion as to the large amount of leftovers.  The Apple Crisp was the exception to this rule, the recipe is for a square baking dish.  I honestly don't ever remember my mom making it in anything smaller than a 9x13 (she probably doubled it so that it would last longer than a few minutes).  So, when I made it the first time it was about 1/2 inch thick in a big 9x13 pan.........I called mom that day.

But I finally figured it out.  This is a classic.  I love it because the bottom layer is just apples.  The wonderful yummy apple pie type topping ingredients cook down into them as it bakes, but I like that fresh baked apple taste.  I'm pretty sure that my mom slices her apples, I just chop mine up.


The topping is easy and just right. I never (really, never ever) remember to soften my butter. This recipe is very forgiving, just pop cold butter into the microwave for 30 seconds or so, mix up all the topping ingredients.....


Pour over the apples and pack it down a little bit.
I don't know why I do that, it just seems right....


Then bake.....Voila!


This really needs some vanilla ice cream with it (dessert) or whipped cream out of a can (breakfast).....not that I would do that.

Mom's Apple Crisp
4 cups apples (about 6), peeled and sliced
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I use a little less, more like 1/4 teaspoon)
1/2 cup soft butter
Layer apples in the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.  Mix all other ingredients to make a crumbly topping and pour evenly over apples.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30-34 minutes.  This doubles nicely in a large baking pan....top with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment