Search This Blog

henry

Friday, September 2, 2011

Oven Bacon

I really have some important things to blog about; I have this amazing lesson I've been learning about sharing your child's heart with other people worthy of the task and a doozy on marriage that I just learned preparing for a Marriage Conference we get to teach soon.


But alas, I am here to blog about bacon.  But I'm ok with that, bacon is pretty exciting and I just learned something wonderful that I've only heard talked about before. 

Bacon is good baked in the oven. 

My son is a baconaholic.  He loves the stuff and will endure eating almost anything that goes with it [enter my quest to find the perfect pancake years] to have bacon.  You know those last minute lessons you shout out to your kid when they stay over at a friend's house or go to camp or youth group breakfast the first time? One of ours is always, "start with only two slices of bacon, and eat something else too!" Really, I'm not even kidding.

So the other night I made breakfast for dinner and decided to try bacon in the oven because no one was home yet to stop me and making bacon is messy.  I found a recipe that works beautifully.


See? 

I sprinkled brown sugar and coarse ground pepper on a few slices (again, no one there to stop me) and they were fantastic.


Oven Bacon
  • 1 package center cut bacon (not sure that it matters, but Oscar Meyer center cut is a little bit leaner which makes the "swimming in grease" issue a little less of an ordeal).
  • Brown Sugar
  • Coarse Ground Pepper
Line a jellyroll pan (or a large shallow baking dish with sides - do not attempt this on a cookie sheet without sides) with foil (I was out so I used parchment paper).  Lay bacon on foil in a single layer.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and pepper, or leave plain.  Put bacon in a cold oven [COLD OVEN, people] - this part is important.  Close the door, turn the oven on to 400 degrees, set the timer for 20 minutes and walk away.

Delicious....and clean-"ish". 

By the way, you can find the fruit of my pancake search here, a wonderful family recipe that I had all along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment