Search This Blog

henry

Monday, July 9, 2012

Red Beans n' Rice Okie Style

I've been to New Orleans twice in my entire life....and these are my favorite places there (not coincidentally they are both food places).
Beignets and Cafe au Lait!



Pralines Please....how I love them.



I also discovered Mother's Restaurant there....where I ate the bestest Red Beans and Rice ever.  So when I realized that I was down to my last Sally's praline (out of 12) it made me crave a yummy cajun bowl of Red Beans and Rice (which makes no sense except to me). BUT I don't know how to make that particular deliciousness. I looked up some recipes that all looked too hard (Alton Brown has a 5 Star recipe that includes making your own pickled pork - there is just no reality in which I will be making pickled pork), then I just made one up. I needed a quick 1 hour version to kill a craving.  Is that too much to ask?

Here is a huge disclaimer. 
(I learned by reading recipe comments that Cajuns are particular about how you make their beloved Red Beans and Rice).
This is an EASY, shortcutty, Oklahoma cook way to make Red Beans and Rice.
 I'm not trying to do it right, I just needed something to go with my praline folks.

This is the only authentically Cajun ingredient.......this stuff was a gift from some very special folks who brought it to me from Louisiana. It's goooouuuud. And it's certified Cajun according to the label on the package.  Tim Hawkins would like this stuff.  Heehee.

 
Of course since I had no intention of blogging about this I didn't take any pictures (except this one of the little leftovers in the fridge). But it turned out so good and was so easy I wanted to share.



 Here's what I did:
I cut up and cooked 1/2 package of Center Cut Bacon.  Then I added half of a large onion and half of a green pepper, both chopped up SUPER fine. As they cooked and the veggies began to soften I added about 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of Slap Ya Mama seasoning along with some pepper.  Then I poured about 2 cups of chicken broth over the whole thing, added 1 bay leaf, and added two cans of red beans (drained and rinsed). I mashed up some of the beans with a potato masher to thicken the sauce a bit. I put the lid on and let it simmer for 20 minutes or so while I cooked the rice. Depending on how long you let it simmer you might need to add some more broth or water. I served it with turkey smoked sausage cut up and browned in a separate skillet. 


It might not be official - but it was Yummy!
And EASY!




Easy Red Beans and Rice
1/2 pound (or less) bacon
1/2 large onion, diced small
1/2 green pepper, diced small
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cans red beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups (or more) chicken broth
Cooked rice


Cut up and brown bacon in a large skillet.  Add onion and green pepper and cook until they begin to soften in the bacon grease. Add garlic, cajun seasoning, pepper and bay leaf.  Cook for a couple of minutes to brown garlic.  Add chicken broth and beans mashing some of the beans into the liquid.  Simmer to blend flavors until hot and a little bit thickened (15-20 minutes).  Serve over hot cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment