Search This Blog

henry

Friday, October 26, 2012

Monster Cookies



Today is my Momma's Birthday.  She and my sister are on their way to my house even now so that we can celebrate.  As I think about her I have lots of memories from her kitchen, her food, the way she pulled us in and taught while we prepared and then cleaned.  There were a lot more than cooking lessons going on in that kitchen!  Now she does the same with my girls and nieces.....it's very precious.




One of my memories is of my mom making Monster Cookies for Vacation Bible School.  Now, these aren't named Monster because of Halloween or how they are decorated or any such nonsense.  I'm pretty sure that they are named Monster because of the size of the recipe.  The original recipe which she got from her friend Judy Grein made 17 dozen cookies.

SEVENTEEN DOZEN, folks.....and my mom mixed them by hand.  I remember her with a huge stockpot stirring these puppies up, her spoon digging deep so that her whole hand and arm up to her elbow was in the pot. {My only more favorite mom kitchen story is how she makes Aunt Bill's brown candy....it includes power tools and her standing on the counter, I'll save that one.} 

These cookies have a uniquely wonderful chewy peanut buttery taste that reminds me of being a kid.  But as much as I loved them, there was just no way I was ever going to work that hard. And even though I used to be pretty good at math it never occurred to me to try these in a smaller batch - so that I could use a MIXER. Leave it to my dad; he did the math for us and now we can make a mere 5 dozen at a time.  
Which is fine with me as long as the dough fits in my Kitchen-aid.  

I'm not sure how the original recipe worked, but I just mix the ingredients in order; mixing them up pretty well as I add each one.  I use a bigger scoop than my normal cookies (I use the medium pampered chef scoop) so that they are a little bit "monsteryier."  The fun thing about this recipe is that you can change up the add-ins.  It's very flexible that way.

This batch is for my daughter's Halloween Party at school today, so she picked out all the green and blue M&Ms and we added some mini Reese's pieces.  Cute, right?






Since this dough doesn't have any flour, it isn't as stiff as regular cookie dough, but that's ok!  You haven't messed up.  Make sure that you mix it well so that the oatmeal doesn't stay at the top of your bowl!

This is a great Fall Cookie, try it! 
Enjoy!


Monster Cookies

Large Recipe (5 dozen):
4 eggs
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Karo Syrup
1 Tablespoon Baking soda
1 1/4 stick margarine, softened
1 pound peanut butter
6 cups oatmeal - quick cooking is my favorite, but old fashioned works too!
6 oz M&Ms (1 cup)
6 oz chocolate chips (1 cup)


Half Recipe (2 dozen):
2 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp karo syrup
1 ½ tsp baking soda
6T butter
½ pound peanut butter
3 cups oatmeal
3 oz choc. chips (1/2 cup)
3 oz M&Ms (1/2 cup)

Add ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition.  Make into balls and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment