Search This Blog

henry

Monday, November 26, 2012

Quick Turkey Chili (and Matching Blueberry Cobbler)


I have a confession. I am not a fan of ground turkey...I just have never had a very good experience with the stuff. But I must say, this recipe has convinced me that we might've gotten off on the wrong foot.  

Because this Turkey Chili is amazingly delicious. I found the recipe here at Southern Living and didn't change much at all. I think the super success of this recipe might be found in the method of cooking the ground turkey, I'm not sure. All I know is that this is flavorful and tender, truly scrumptious stuff. Your "non ground turkey eating" family will never even know!

Here's what you do.....

First, brown the onion in some oil.  This is different from the way I would normally prepare chili.  I brown my meat first adding the onion to cook when the meat is almost finished.




Once the onion is almost translucent, add minced garlic and the ground turkey.  This is the only gross picture I'll show you (and the reason I have before not been convinced to use ground turkey - it's pale and sticky). Mix it all together and begin to chop up the meat. You also will add the chili powder and the cumin here - and quite a bunch of it. As you stir it into the meat it darkens and flavors the meat.



You can still see bits of pink in the meat below, but because of the spices it all browns up looking like more familiar hamburger meat. Keep it browning up.....



Add tomato paste and stir it up, continuing to brown.



When you add all the rest of the ingredients, it looks scrumptious (like the Title picture) and you just let it simmer for 30 minutes. I'm sure it would be great in a crock-pot too.

Now for the secret ingredient.....do not skip this part.  I'm not a fancy recipe foodie kind of girl.  I have to be able to find things easily at my local Walmart.  This isn't too fancy or weird, just pick some up. It's right near the parsley in the produce aisle.

Cilantro. Wash it. Chop it. Add it to the chili at the last minute. Love it.



And while you're at it whip up this easy delicious Blueberry Cobbler (really a Crisp, but whatever). The recipe is found here and it's fantastic. I follow the directions exactly, using 2 bags of frozen blueberries (12 oz each).  The smell of the Turkey Chili on the stovetop and the Blueberry Cobbler in the oven was magic. Kind of like when you find an amazing Scentsy duo. I'm new to Scentsy, and kind of in love.



Hope you'll try these, let me know if you do!

Quick Turkey Chili
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pound lean ground turkey
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 large can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
1 can Ranch style beans (16 oz)
1 cup chicken broth
1 extra small can corn, drained (or half of a regular can)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

Saute chopped onion in hot oil in a large skillet or stock pot for 5 minutes or until tender.  Add garlic and saute 1 minute.  Add turkey, chili powder, and cumin and cook stirring to break up the meat and mix in the spices.  Cook until meat is no longer pink.  Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients except for the chopped cilantro. Bring chili to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often for 30 minutes.  Stir in chopped cilantro and serve.  Fritos, shredded cheese, and sour cream would be great here.


No comments:

Post a Comment