Search This Blog

henry

Friday, December 7, 2012

Eggnog Cupcakes


This is a fun Christmas recipe....
and Easy.
and Delicious.

My sister made these Eggnog Cupcakes for Christmas Eve a few years ago. They were so good that I remembered them the next year, but we couldn't find the recipe. Originally it came from a little free recipe booklet from Braum's. After begging her and going through every recipe hiding place I could find I went on-line. I found the closest thing here; it's the one I'm sharing below. I'm still not sure any will ever taste as good as the first ones we ate on Christmas Eve.  But they are wonderful!







I baked these according to the recipe; I ended up with 17 {probably because I tend to overfill my muffin cups}. For the frosting, I used a canned vanilla frosting piped on using this little trick. Then I topped them with sprinkles that match the muffin liners and a little bit (and I mean a VERY little bit) of cinnamon and nutmeg. I put about a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and half that much ground nutmeg in a small mesh strainer and lightly tapped it over the cupcakes so that just a tiny little dusting fell onto the frosting.

I'm including the original frosting recipe below, but when I've made these before I use this Vanilla Icing recipe originally from Joy of Cooking.

Blend together

·      4 cups powdered sugar, 1 pound sifted
·      1 stick softened butter
Stir in until smooth:
·      4-6 Tablespoons milk, juice or coffee
·      2 teaspoons vanilla
·      ¼ tsp salt



These are also great breakfast muffins...just glaze with a cup or two of powdered sugar mixed with 1-2 Tablespoons of eggnog.

Enjoy!


CREAMY EGGNOG CUPCAKES

Cupcakes
1 (16 oz.) package pound cake mix
1 1/4 c. eggnog
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat all ingredients together at low speed until blended.  Increase speed to medium and beat two minutes more.  Place baking cups into muffin tin and spoon batter into cups.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  Transfer to wire rack; cool completely before frosting.

Frosting
1/2 c. butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
16 oz box powdered sugar
1/4 c. eggnog
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy.  Gradually add powdered sugar alternating with eggnog, beginning and ending with sugar and beating at low speed.  Add nutmeg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.  Spread over cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment