Search This Blog

henry

Monday, December 9, 2013

Bethlehem Tour

Christmas is different for me this year.
I was able to visit Bethlehem in February, and Christmas is forever changed.

As we are heading into the busiest time of the Christmas season, I thought you might like to slow down and see what it was like there.

This is where it happened...


I don't completely understand all of the politics, but Bethlehem was the only place we visited that was Palestinian controlled. We had to switch tour guides and our bus went through a checkpoint {which was no big deal for me as I'm sure I was on my phone - the bus was the only place with wi-fi you see}. We ate lunch and shopped for the famous olive wood nativities.....

Then we got to see the sites.

Shepherd's Field is located on the hillside where the shepherds might've been when they heard the angelic announcement. Our tour group stood together while one of the men in our group quoted Luke 2. We sang Christmas Carols and looked out over the side of the hills. It's not hard to imagine the sky lighting up.


This is the entrance to Shepherd's Field.


I stood next to this church in a little plaza and looked up. Even if this isn't the exact spot, I could imagine the star being visible. I could imagine the sky, this sky; being bright and full of angels.

This is the view down from where we stood together as a group. Can't you imagine sheep and shepherds out here?





Earlier in the week we stopped at a beautiful site called Megiddo. There are lots (LOTS) of amazing things about this place {Deborah, Gideon, Revelation}. 

It has layers and layers of history in the stone and dirt. One of the most interesting places was the ruins of a second palace built by Solomon. As our tour guide was telling us about this section he explained that we were standing in the stables. Then he pointed to this stone structure (pic below) and asked what we thought it might be. 

It's a manger, found in Solomon's stables. According to him, the mangers in the caves in Bethlehem would've been very similar. 

Be-still my Christmas heart.
{I almost made this picture our Christmas card this year}...



Next is the Church of the Nativity. Honestly, it was one of my least favorite visits. It was our longest wait (although not as long as usual), and the least real feeling place. I had wanted to walk into a nativity scene, and this is not that way. All the natural parts have been covered up with this ancient church built in the early 4th century. It still likely is close and similar to the cave where Jesus was born. Some ancient church fathers say this is the actual site of Jesus' birth.

We walked down the steps and sat at a little memorial that commemorates the birthplace of Jesus. Our tour guide took our picture and then we were hustled out.




I did find this jewel before we were hurried out. I asked if there was anything original to the time of Jesus' birth and was directed to this cave ceiling. I took this picture looking up from a little alcove in the cave.

  • These rocks might've been overlooking my precious terrified Mary as she labored. 
  • They might've offered protection while Joseph struggled to help her. 
  • They might've surrounded her while she dressed her baby and laid him in the manger.
  • They might've connected with the hands of the shepherds as they rushed in and then slowed down at the sight of a sacred baby.
So I had to touch them too...I probably worried the sweet nun sitting beneath, but I had to touch these stones. If only these rocks could cry out.


This is the outside of the Church of Nativity (behind me as I took the picture), notice the mosque on the right side.


The Bethlehem Countdown to Christmas Clock....this cracked me up {I don't know why}.









"1-5 About that time Caesar Augustus ordered a census to be taken throughout the Empire. This was the first census when Quirinius was governor of Syria. Everyone had to travel to his own ancestral hometown to be accounted for. So Joseph went from the Galilean town of Nazareth up to Bethlehem in Judah, David’s town, for the census. As a descendant of David, he had to go there. He went with Mary, his fiancĂ©e, who was pregnant.
6-7 While they were there, the time came for her to give birth. She gave birth to a son, her firstborn. She wrapped him in a blanket and laid him in a manger, because there was no room in the hostel.

8-12 There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. Suddenly, God’s angel stood among them and God’s glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, “Don’t be afraid. I’m here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David’s town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. This is what you’re to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger.”
13-14 At once the angel was joined by a huge angelic choir singing God’s praises:

Glory to God in the heavenly heights,
Peace to all men and women on earth who please him.
15-18 As the angel choir withdrew into heaven, the sheepherders talked it over. “Let’s get over to Bethlehem as fast as we can and see for ourselves what God has revealed to us.” They left, running, and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in the manger. Seeing was believing. They told everyone they met what the angels had said about this child. All who heard the sheepherders were impressed.
19-20 Mary kept all these things to herself, holding them dear, deep within herself. The sheepherders returned and let loose, glorifying and praising God for everything they had heard and seen. It turned out exactly the way they’d been told!" 
Luke 2:1-20, The Message


Merry Christmas from Bethlehem!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Erma! Thanks for the comment, it was such a treasure to set my feet down in those places!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this with me! I have the best teary-eyed, goosebumps ever! Immanuel...God WITH us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! God with us, it became so real to me in that place. I wish everyone could make that pilgrimage!

      Delete