Search This Blog

henry

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Moses and Mary

“But Moses replied to the LORD, "Please, Lord, I have never been eloquent—either in the past or recently or since You have been speaking to Your servant—” Exodus 4:10 HCSB
I read this verse for the first time in this translation this weekend and almost laughed out loud (putting lots of emphasis on the ORs).  For some reason it makes me grin to imagine this exchange between Moses and God.  I think it’s funny that Moses keeps reminding God of the pattern of his weakness, “Hey God, I’ve never been able to give great speeches – from when I was younger even until recently (insert giggle here) or especially since you’ve been talking to me about all of this!  PLEASE don’t make me go!”  I was reminded about how wrong I am to think that God is going to ask me to do something that I’ll hate and am destined to fail trying, as if that were His motive.  He does sometimes ask me to do things that make me uncomfortable and require me to take a big gulp of faith.  But especially there He’s teaching me and desiring to share an amazing moment with me where He whispers, “See, you can do it!  And look what happened because you were willing to go with Me!”  He’s building passion and confidence and dependence – these are treasures.
"I am the Lord's slave," said Mary. "May it be done to me according to your word." Luke 1:38
So today, while preparing for something completely different, this verse came up.  It’s Mary’s reaction when the angel tells her that she is going to be the mother of the Messiah.  My first thought was back to Moses from two days before.  How different is Mary’s response from Moses’.  She states her purpose (to serve God) and then states His Word inserting her name right into the middle of it.  This deserves a true grin (a flabbergasted at such grace and courage teeth-baring kind of grin).  How foolish of me to try to talk God out of what He’s asking me to do with Him.  Instead of reminding Him that I’m still weak both in the past, and recently, and even though He’s talking to me about it, I should just insert my name into a great big sentence of faith surrounded by His WORDS which describe the greatness of His character and His actions.  I am His servant, may my life be right in the center of His Word and His plans for my day…..by day……by day……until a lifetime is lived.

3 comments:

  1. Jamy - I'm loving that you started this blog. When I'm done reading it I can just close my eyes and I am back in the parlor at HHBC after another wonderful, heartfelt, truly touching lesson. (I still have the bookmark you gave me - "Guarded Wise One" - I will spend the rest of my life trying to live up to that name!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becky, what an encouragement you are! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete