Search This Blog

henry

Monday, October 10, 2011

Bananas Foster Snack Mix



This is a dangerous recipe I found in the August/September issue of Taste of Home magazine, here is the online version. It's dangerous because I like it so much better than anyone else in my house does and it is so easy to just pop a handful in my mouth. The original recipe uses Chex Mix and is completely prepared in the microwave.  I switched to Cheerios and finished the snack mix in the oven.  This didn't change the yummy banana cinnamon-ey flavor but gave the final mix a crunchy delicious texture compared to the "made in the microwave" version.



This is super yummy stuff and an easy and versatile recipe. I'm already daydreaming about changing up the cereal and extract combinations.



I cut up 5 Tablespoons of REAL butter and tossed it with the brown sugar.  It goes into the microwave to make the base of the syrup.  Then I added the cinnamon and extracts.  In a large metal mixing bowl I stirred together the Cheerios, pecans, and banana chips and poured the finished syrup over it and mixed it all up good....



I poured the whole concoction into a foil lined jellyroll pan and baked it for optimal crispiness. This is what I love about blogging, when else do you get to type "optimal crispiness"? When it comes out of the oven let it cool if you can wait.  The pecans will burn your mouth straight from the oven, but you can handle the cheerios.....I'm just sayin'.



Here's the particulars for Bananas Foster Snack Mix
  • 6oz box Honey Scooters (off brand Cheerios)
  • 6oz bag Banana Chips
  • 2 cups pecan halves
  • 1/3 cup real butter
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon banana extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix cereal, bananas, and pecans in a large bowl.  Cube butter and combine with brown sugar in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup.  Microwave for 1 minute on high, stir and microwave for 1 more minute.  Stir in extracts and cinnamon.  Pour over cereal mixture and stir to coat.  Pour out onto a foil lined jellyroll pan.  Bake at 250 degrees for 15 minutes, stir and bake for 15 minutes more.  Cool.  Store in an airtight container.


Perfect Crispy Snacking......Yum!

1 comment: