Search This Blog

henry

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bowtie Beauties

Now that I'm blogging I'm very excited about having a place to celebrate when I make up some new food that's yummy.  My family enjoys the food, but they don't really get the celebration part......so I usually text a friend and get a text party in return with lots of exclamation points and comma winks.

I'm a meal planner, and rarely just make something up out of the pantry (which is why the text parties are rare).  But last night the Texas Rangers were 1 game away from making it to the World Series for the first time ever and so EVERY second spent watching the afternoon game before we had to leave for church was golden.......SO, no one from this household was eating at church (original meal plan) or anywhere else!  Uh-Oh, I had no plan for that! 

I looked in the pantry and found a couple of cans of tomato stuff and a box of mini bowtie pasta.....and decided to be brave.  I remember reading in one of my favorite cookbooks; How to Cook without a Book by Pam Anderson that you can make your own red sauce to go on noodles, so I tried it!  Topped it off with lots of parmesan cheese and some Turkey Pepperoni since meatless doesn't go over so well here among my carnivores.  They ate it up......

Here's what I did:
Cover the bottom of a medium saucepan with olive oil (2-3 Tablespoons).
Add 1-2 teaspoons of minced garlic and 1-2 teaspoons of dried minced onion.  I would've used 1/4 cup or so of fresh onion but didn't have any - remember I am cooking out of my pantry and I used my last onion yesterday.  Turn on the heat and cook until garlic just begins to brown and bubble - I've learned the hard way that garlic burns easily and quickly.  Don't burn the garlic.  Add one 15 ounce can of tomato sauce and one 15 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes (use something chunkier if you are a chunky tomato lover - chunks sure look beautiful in the sauce) and a couple of teaspoons of Italian seasoning.  I always grind dry seasonings up in my hand like my momma taught me.  My palm still smells like yummy sauce.  Add salt and pepper to taste (remembering that the parmesan cheese coming up will add salty taste).  Bring to a simmer, cover and let go awhile stirring occasionally until the noodles are done. While your pasta is simmering cook 1 pound of your favorite pasta.  Drain and stir in a little butter.  Pour sauce over noodles and stir to coat, serve with lots of fresh Parmesan cheese.


 This is my bowl and fork - it's a TINY bowl (not really). I'm already dreaming about next time.....maybe some bacon, maybe the tomato sauce with basil already added, some real onion?? The possibilities are endless. 
Goodnight Beautiful, the Rangers lost - but you are a winner!

3 comments: