Search This Blog

henry

Friday, January 20, 2012

Cabbage Soup (that isn't gross)



I have all kinds of recipes on my list to share on my blog in the next few months......good ones that people really might want to eat.  And yet, here I am posting a recipe for soup made with CABBAGE!  Even now I am rolling my eyes. Usually I think cabbage fits in the "I can eat it if I have to, but it's really kinda gross" category.  BUT, this soup is good.  Now I'm going to tell you the story.


A deli in our town has this delicious soup that is called Cabbage Patch Soup....I ordered it once on accident and happened to love it. Surprise!  Since then on a food blog I really like called She Cooks, I found a recipe for a Post Thanksgiving Cabbage soup diet plan (which typically I would ignore except that the picture looked a lot like the one I was hoping to recreate).  I have been wanting to make a big batch of HEALTHY, LOW-CALORIE soup that I can freeze in small portions and reheat for quick lunches.  I think this might help me not eat lunch like a 4 year old, because then I eat snacks like a 40 year old.


Today I decided to test this little soup recipe.  Honestly, I wasn't that optimistic.  But once it was finished and I crunched the nutrition numbers, I just had to share!  This tastes VERY much like my favorite Cabbage Patch soup (in fact my daughter likes it better). This soup is very tasty and filling and the portion size isn't so tiny that you need to eat a bag of Funyuns an hour later to fill up.  I divided this batch into 2 cup portions in quart-sized freezer bags, each bag has between 232 (10 servings) and 257 calories (9 servings).








I have changed very little from the original recipe that LeAnne Rice posted here, it's a great post with the original recipe and her plan to get back on the good nutrition wagon after a holiday or celebration where she might've over indulged.  I know, she's all alone there.


I'm not sure about the proper blog etiquette, so let me just say that this recipe I've renamed Cabbage Patch after my favorite across town is really LeAnne's recipe called Thanksgiving Remorse Soup on HER blog She Cooks.org.


Here are the few changes I made:
  • I used 2 pounds of lean ground beef (instead of 3).
  • I left out the mushrooms (only because I think they are super gross - and I will likely be the only one eating this soup at my house).
  • I added about 1 teaspoon of soy sauce to my meat as it was cooking (only because that's how I was raised and it's super delicious).
  • I used a larger bottle (46 oz) of V8 (only because that's the size that was available at my Wal-mart).
  • I added about 2 cups of water (almost half of the empty V8 bottle) - you could add more water to stretch the recipe to be sure and get to the 10 servings (which would be 232 calories).

Cabbage Patch Soup aka Thanksgiving Remorse Soup
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, just the whites - chopped
3 cloves of garlic (or 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced jar garlic)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt (or use regular salt)
1 teaspoon pepper
1 large can petite diced tomatoes (29 oz)
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
4 stalks of celery, coarse chopped with leaves
3 carrots, coarse chopped
1 small can green beans with liquid (14 oz)
1 pound bag of cabbage coleslaw mix
46 oz bottle V8 juice
2-3 cups water
5 oz container fresh baby spinach

Cook hamburger meat in a large skillet with onion.  Season with a little bit of soy sauce.  While meat is cooking add all the other ingredients (except the fresh spinach and water) to a large stockpot or saucepan.  Use the biggest one you have.  I was going to try this in my crock pot, but was afraid it wouldn't fit!  Once the meat is cooked through, add to the stock pot and stir well.  Add water to cover meat and other ingredients. Top with the fresh spinach and gradually squish and stir it down in as the spinach wilts. Cook on medium high stirring often for 10-15 minutes, then simmer on medium low for another 30 minutes or so until celery and carrots are very tender.  

Makes about 10 servings (2 cup), 232 calories each.


Here's a text conversation I had with my husband while I was writing this post:

HE:  About to head home now.
ME:  OK.  I'm about to write a blog about cabbage soup.
HE:  Ick!
ME:  I know, right? But I made some today to freeze and eat on days I'm home for lunch and it's the bomb diggety.

He came home, ate a bowl and went to a basketball game.
Resume text conversation.

HE:  Yes, it was the bomb diggety.



1 comment:

  1. This post cracks me up only for seeing you and Todd use the phrase "bomb diggety" - I would never have imagined ;)

    ReplyDelete