Search This Blog

henry

Monday, April 11, 2011

Graduation and a Milk Moustache

We are about to have our first graduation.  This year our son will graduate from 8th grade and move on to high school.  Our school goes from little bitties (4 year olds) to 8th grade, and has a graduation ceremony when they finish those precious years.  This morning I got to see an image that I think perfectly sums up this stage in life. 

It was just a normal morning, my big kids were sitting at the breakfast table eating leftover cinnamon rolls before they rush out the door for Monday morning school.  I asked my son about his week and what might be coming up that we both needed to be remembering as we did a lot of unfortunate forgetting last week.  His eyes shot open wide and he ran for his backpack and pulled out a plastic bag containing a royal blue cap and gown. 

I have graduation on my calendar and on the fringe of my mind.  Knowing that it's coming and feeling both excited and a little afraid of my reaction has kept it on the edge.  It seems for us that 8th grade is that year when I can begin to see glimpses of the adult he will be and want to burst with pride; but still relish (or roll my eyes in exasperation) at the childishness that shows up on a daily basis too.

This morning he finished up his breakfast and carefully unwrapped his graduation cap.  He tried it on after several questions and a tutorial from mom.  As he looked up and grinned at me I saw the image that perfectly encapsulates 8th grade.  He had a very distinguished look on his face as he gazed up toward the corner of the room and sported his most impressive smartypants grown up face -  
Complete with a milk moustache. 

I hope I never forget, every single day is a gift.


"Train up a child in the way he should go
[and in keeping with his individual gift or bent],
and when he is old he will not depart from it." 
Proverbs 22:6, Amplified Version

2 comments:

  1. How precious is that. :) Love it!

    Carol Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I'm just seeing this post but I can barely type my response from the tears in my eyes. After just seeing him last night I know exactly what you mean. He is a precious child with a fantastic future ahead of him and I'm excited and scared with you as both our sons move into HS next year. I love you sister... we'll hold hands through this and just keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete