Search This Blog

henry

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bible Study - A Look Back

I love my Wednesday morning Bible Study!  It is a major highlight of my week and the only thing I don't like about vacation.  We eat and catch up and make friends and then study together.....I really like them.  We just started back after summer break and have many new faces that I can't wait to learn to read.

A few weeks ago I went through a cabinet full of old women's ministry and Bible Study files.  I found the notes from our very first Wednesday morning Bible Study on February 1, 2006.  I remember being so excited and nervous to get started.  Other than an unfortunate t-shirt design based on our original name (Companions of the Word -yes, it had a cow on it) those are very special memories.  When I think back to some of the women who have come and gone and the things we've learned and studied I get all mushy.  I remember the victories we've celebrated and the tragedies and losses we've endured.  I think of women who have transformed for His glory before my eyes and cringe remembering the few who've walked away.  I grin at all the days I walk away from Bible Study a big ball of insecurity because I said something truly ridiculous.  I sigh with awe when I remember the days that He meets us so unmistakeably and we all break into simultaneous God-bumps.  Everyone should have a place like this, I am so thankful.

Four and a half years ago, this is what I hoped God would lead us to become.  We are well on our way, and I can't wait for more of the journey.  For my Bible Study friends, this is where we started.  From my notes on February 1, 2006:

My heart for this group is that we can:
1.  Reform the "church girl" and be truly connected and generous with each other.
2.  Grow in love and devotion to God so that we can accurately reflect His character to our families, church, and community.
3.  Learn to live disciplined and fruitful lives in submission to a God we are convinced loves and provides for us.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."  Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment